Hi, I’m DB, a contingent faculty member at an R1 on the East Coast. I also do some consultation work in Applied Behavior Analysis, which I absolutely love. While I try to stay active and healthy, sometimes the academic life makes that difficult.
If you’re not familiar with the Ivory Tower, you probably think we:
- Work pretty much when we want, where we want (well, that is true)
- Do very little outside of the three or four hours we’re teaching
- Spend most of our time thinking and pondering while smoking a pipe or something
The reality is that I am usually sitting with poor posture at my computer. Since I teach online, I do work from home a lot. My typical day consists of:
- 1-2 hours of grading
- 2-3 hours of planning, meetings, etc…
- Writing or planning research
- Answering emails
- Making videos for instruction
I typically do some type of work 7 days per week.
All of this has led to some pretty unhealthy habits, which I will detail in coming posts. I’ll also talk about my journey and what works for me.
Since I’m a behavior analyst, there will be lots of research, charts, graphs, and data!
I hope you get something from this site, but please remember that I’m not giving medical advice here. Always consult your doctor (and your friendly neighborhood behavior analyst) to determine what strategies are right for you.
Let’s get started!